The kids are officially out of school, which means summer break is in full swing! I absolutely loooove summer. Summer (to me) means sleeping in, easy mornings with no agenda… days filled up with neighborhood pool fun, popsicles at all times of the day, chalk art, bubbles, 7/11 slurpees… etc. For weeks I have been dreaming about all the summer fun the kids and I will have.
Well, we have had two full weeks of summer, and reality has set in… I have a 20 month old boy! Easy summer days are non-existent! Summer fun has to be scheduled around carefully curated nap-times. When we actually do make it to the pool, I am in a constant state of panic trying to watch Violet as she jumps off the high dive, Livia going down the water slide, and Kace grabbing random strangers drinks, ready to chug! If I don’t intervene, with ninja-like motions, he will inevitably end up chugging some (other) mom’s rosé!
I have tried getting him in the baby pool… not happening! Baby pools are for suckers! Kace would much rather ravage through somebody’s pool bag… throw an unsuspecting stranger’s shoes in the deep end… get a hold of somebody else’s sunscreen and launch it into the pool. Actually, now that I am thinking about it, he pretty much only wants to torment every single person at the neighborhood pool, by rummaging through their things, and launching them into the water. If I pull him away from his set intention.. all hell breaks loose. He makes noises only prehistoric birds can make.
Any tips on how to tame the pool monster, that is Kace, are MUCH appreciated….
Before summer actually started, I gathered essentials that I felt I would need for a summer full of pool fun! There is no reason I shouldn’t share with y’all, in case your 20-month olds (or lack there of) cooperate ;-).
- You must have a great pool bag! I have a few options… I have some cute totes that are fun for a day with just girlfriends at the pool, and then I have some bags that are “catch-alls” for all the towels, dive-toys, goggles, mermaid-fins, snacks, water bottles etc.!!! (#momlife). Of course, you can always take those cute totes and shove all of the real-life mom-stuff in it (I do it often)…
- HAVE to have a great pair of sunnies! Here are a few fun affordable pairs that I love ( all under $15.00)!
- If you are trying to preserve that baby-face of yours, you need a great hat! Hats can also function as a disguise when your child is behaving like a monster 🙂
- Cute cover-ups, that you can NOT live without 🙂
- If you have kids, you need pool toys! I suggest checking out Target (pronounced, the fancy way… “Tar-jayyyy”), or Walmart’s water toy isles. You can always find great dive toys, water-friendly balls, buckets, mermaid barbies, etc.
- Last, but not least, my random favs! I love this Sunbum leave-in conditioner spray for hair. My neighbor told me about it last summer, and I’m obsessed. I feel like it helps fight against the nasty things chlorine does to hair! Also, loving the Target suncreen, Sunbum suncreen, baby organic face-stick, and water bottles 🙂
** Important things that are not listed: A fun girlfriend to go to the pool with you for moral support. They must be able to wrestle alligators! Lots of caffeine, to keep your energy levels up and ready to chase a monster for at least a few hours (or however long your sanity can hold up). Also, don’t forget SNACKS! The only thing that might give you a moment of stillness… and if the baby doesn’t want them.. you can stress eat 0:-).